Fog Node: virtualization and wired communication
- Main supervisor: Dr. Wilfried Steiner, email@example.com (contact person)
- Co-supervisor: Dr. Flavio Bonomi, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mandatory requirements for all PhD positions
- Please contact the main supervisor for additional requirements
- Design a reference architecture for Fog Nodes for industrial automation and robotics use cases.
- Develop deterministic virtualization solutions based on hypervisors and dynamic separation kernels, that minimize the interference of mixed-criticality applications on each other.
- Fog Node reference architecture, allowing the execution of applications with differing requirements, in particular in the domains of real-time response, safety, and security, and equipped with advanced networking capabilities to interact with the environment through sensors and actuators as well as to interact with remote Cloud facilities.
- Deterministic virtualization solutions based on hypervisors and separation kernels, that minimize the interference of mixed-criticality applications on each other, considering the interaction of the virtualization solutions and networking.
- Prototype implementations concept Fog Nodes.
- Evaluation of the prototypes on concrete use cases available to TTT.
Planned visits and collaboration:
- NEBBIOLO (Dr. Flavio Bonomi): Learn about the state-of-the-art in Fog Node architectures.
- TUKL (Prof. Gerhard Fohler): Designing the Fog Node APIs to allow the integration of services such as the scheduling servers from TUKL.
Please contact the main supervisor for a detailed description.
Please contact the main supervisor for relevant publications about the topic area.