Microservices-based app modeling and development
- Important: don’t forget to mention in your application how you found out about the position.
- Contact person: Prof. Thomas Nolte, firstname.lastname@example.org
Would you like the opportunity to work at our Robotics division with scalable high performance real-time software? Then join us in this PhD-position based in Västerås, Sweden. At ABB Robotics, we develop, manufacture and market robots and associated control systems, software, arc welding products, machine tending solutions, tracks and motor packages. Over 90% of our production goes on export and our customers include all major auto manufacturers. At ABB Robotics, we are proud to offer stimulating work with customer-orientated development in an international environment.
- Mandatory requirements for all PhD positions
- You have a Master’s degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering and pursue a PhD position within the area of embedded systems in real-time environments. Applicants shall, at the time of recruitment by the host organisation ABB, be in the first four years (full-time equivalent research experience) of their research career.
- The successful candidate will combine practical skill sets with a strategic mind as well as great drive and commitment. The applicants should document a high-level knowledge of the English language.
Our embedded software development unit at ABB Robotics is widely recognized for its skills and reflected in the performance of our robots and services. We are facing an extremely expanding market and our software needs to scale with it from an architectural point of view. We are looking for a PhD candidate doing research in the area of Scalable high performance real-time software and Integration of software functions on shared parallel processors, all in the area of industrial robot controller software.
Main research areas are:
1. Integration of legacy software functions on shared parallel processors, featuring sub-challenges related to predictable interference among software functions, prioritization of software functions and runnable tasks, deadlock-free mutual-exclusion among software functions.
2. Scalable high performance real-time software, allowing for a dynamic number of real-time software functions to co-exist in an environment that is shared with the system’s basic functionality. This include guarantees on freedom of starvation of resources among software functions, given specified levels of quality of service.
- Develop microservice-based application modeling that use the Fog-based infrastructure.
- Develop an API for application development on the Fog-based middleware.
- Develop apps and microservices to demonstrate the Fog Computing Platform on use cases from the industrial partners.
- Programming model for microservice-based application development in the Fog.
- Development of several application types using microservices, the Fog Software Manager and the services developed by the other ESRs: robotics control application, soft real-time application, best-effort application.
- Evaluating the programming model on robotics applications from ABB (multiple YuMis); comparison to dedicated OT solutions.
Planned visits and collaboration:
- DTU (Prof. Paul Pop): Define real-time control apps and evaluate their QoC on the Fog Infrastructure.
Recruiting manager Fredrik Hedenfalk, +4621-344914, will be happy to answer your questions relating to this position. Union representatives Sveriges Ingenjörer, Pia Hill, +46 21-34 47 51, Ledarna: Lenny Larsson, +46 21-32 85 47, Unionen: Roger L. Gustavsson, +46 21-32 90 97. All other questions can be asked to Talent Partner Lina Eklundh, +4621-34 40 38. Welcome to apply by Feb 28.