Open source Fog Node: hardware support for virtualization
- Main supervisor: Prof. Martin Schoeberl, firstname.lastname@example.org (contact person)
- Co-supervisor: Prof. Jens Sparsø, email@example.com
- Investigate clock synchronization in time-aware Ethernet networks and develop the necessary hardware/software mechanisms to support nanosecond precision clock synchronization.
- Investigate distributed task schedule execution in time-aware Ethernet networks and develop the necessary software stacks to allow for synchronized distributed task execution.
- Integrate the developped mechanisms with common industrial Ethernet protocols and analyze their performance
- Develop and evaluate time-predictable hardware mechanisms to support virtualization, such as time-predictable virtual memory and time-predictable virtualization of I/O
- Open-source prototype implementation of a time-predictable Fog Node (FN), extending the T-CREST platform based on PATMOS processors.
- Hardware/Software support for time-predictable task execution and communication.
Planned visits and collaboration:
- TTTech (Dr. Wilfried Steiner): Explore hardware needs for virtualization; Port PikeOS to developed FN.
Current multicore processors found in off-the-shelf Fog Computing end-systems are optimized for average-case performance and hardly time-predictable.
Hardware/software mechanisms have to be integrated in the application layer as well as in the communication layer to allow for time-predictable application execution and communication latency. Furthermore, Fog Computing implies virtualization but common techniques such as paging and address translation caching with a TLB are hardly time-predictable and have to be rethought. Within this PhD project, time-predictable hardware mechanisms and software stacks will be developed and WCET analyzed to support real-time task execution and communication guarantees for Fog Computing.
The project will extend the T-CREST platform.
Internship and collaboration:
- TTTech (Wilfried Steiner)
- A time-predictable open-source TTEthernet end-systemKyriakakis, E., Lund, M., Pezzarossa, L., Sparsø, J. & Schoeberl, M., Sep 2020, In : Journal of Systems Architecture. 108, 10 p., 101744.
- Implementing time-triggered communication over a standard ethernet switchKyriakakis, E., Sparsø, J. & Schoeberl, M., 2019, Proceedings of the Fog-IoT Workshop 2019. G. S. R. & J. O. (eds.). Association for Computing Machinery, p. 21-25 5 p.
- InterNoC: Uniﬁed Deterministic Communication For Distributed NoC-based Many-CoreKyriakakis, E., Sparsø, J. & Schoeberl, M., 2019, Proceedings of the 13th Junior Researcher Workshop on Real-Time Computing. p. 29-32.
- Hardware assisted clock synchronization with the IEEE 1588-2008 precision time protocolKyriakakis, E., Sparsø, J. & Schoeberl, M., 2018, Proceedings of the 26th International Conference on Real-Time Networks and Systems, RTNS 2018. Association for Computing Machinery, p. 51-60 10 p.