Safety assurance of Fog-based industrial systems
- Main supervisor: Prof. Sasikumar Punnekkat, email@example.com (contact person)
- Co-supervisor: Prof. Hans Hansson firstname.lastname@example.org
- Enable efficient safety certification of Fog-based industrial automation systems by extending the state-of-the-art safety case approaches.
- Develop a safety assurance framework for Fog-based industrial systems that reduces costs and takes into account security.
- Evaluate the current certification practice and relevant functional safety standards in the area, such as IEC 61511, for the suitability to assure the safety of Fog-based infrastructures
- Analyze the Fog Computing Platform for new types of hazards and associated risks.
- Propose new fault models, dependability attributes and mitigation methods for Fog Computing.
- Extend the current safety assurance methods with an “evolving” safety case model, which collects operational data via monitoring, leading to periodic validation of the safety argument and evidences.
Planned visits and collaboration:
- TTT (Dr. Wilfried Steiner): Develop a proof-of-concept safety assurance of a Fog Infrastructure use case.
- ABB (Dr. Magnus Larsson): Learn about certification standards in industrial automation and safety assurance practice.
- Electric Drives as Fog Nodes in a Fog Computing-based Industrial Use Case , Mohammadreza Barzegaran , Nitin Desai, Jia Qian , Paul Pop in The journal of Engineering, August 2021
- Enabling Fog-based Industrial Robotics Systems, ETFA2020, Shaik Salman, Václav Struhár, Van-Lan Dao, Nitin Desai, Zeinab Bakhshi Valojerdi
- Real-time Fog-based Industrial Robotic System: Applications and Challenges, ETFA2020, Shaik Salman, Václav Struhár, Zeinab Bakhshi , Van-Lan Dao, Nitin Desai, Alessandro Papadopoulos, Thomas Nolte, Vasileios Karagiannis , Stefan Schulte , Alexandre Venito , Gerhard Fohler
- Addressing the Node Discovery Problem in Fog Computing, Fog-Iot Workshop 2020, Vasileios Karagiannis , Nitin Desai, Stefan Schulte , Sasikumar Punnekkat
- Enhancing Fault Detection in Time Sensitive Networks using Machine Learning, Comsnets2020, Nitin Desai, Sasikumar Punnekkat
- Safety-oriented flexible design of Autonomous Mobile Robot systems, ISSE2019, Nitin Desai, Sasikumar Punnekkat
- On Fault-tolerant Scheduling of Time Sensitive Networks, ECRTS2019, Radu Dobrin, Nitin Desai, Sasikumar Punnekkat
- Safety of Fog-based Industrial Automation Systems, Fog-IoT 2019, Nitin Desai, Sasikumar Punnekkat
Public Dissemination of FORA research was done on 2021-09-23 via Forskarfredag – a Swedish equivalent of European Researchers’ Night. I along with other MDH ESRs prepared a presentation covering our research topics and presented it via zoom. More info at www.forskarfredag.se